Wednesday 30 March 2016

Angel of the South - PaperArtsy Liquid Fabric Sculpting Medium Challenge


This is my second go with Powertex and on Friday it was a beautiful day and I got gloriously messy at the garden table while Colin did the gardening near by and it was blissful! I was a bit more ambitious this time than my moth, and needed to do a serious Armature! I made the face out of clay and a mould and attached it with masking tape but because it didn't have a neck or shoulders I felt it was a bit wobbly at first, but by the time all the layers started to harden, everything was fine. That's what I really love about the discovery of this new medium! I think, though, I could easily add a bit of extra clay when I pop it out of the mould.

I don't think I really have enough old clothes for this malarkey! You need old clothes to wear, plus old tee shirts to cut up to use. I used a perfectly good fuchsia tee shirt for the drapey bit. I used Bronze Powertex by the way. I used stockinette for the base layer which you can see round her middle. 

For the wings, which I am really pleased with, I used stockinette (over my armature of course!) followed by loads of drapey cheesecloth. I used a heavy layer of Green Amber Treasure Gold on the wings to really colour them, with a bit of blue rub-on. I wanted her to have bright red lips but the nearest colour I had was copper which was in the little sample I had in my Powertex starter kit so I used a bit on her cheeks as well, and some of their blue on her eye lids. I used Treasure Gold in Brass for the high spots of her robe and shawl but used it more heavily for the stockinette underlayer.

On the whole I'm pleased with how this turned out, considering it's only my second attempt. I definitely found some learning points for myself and definitely want to improve with the face but I'm going to get this thoroughly varnished once it's cured and give it as a present to someone very special who has a summerhouse she made herself. She is my angel.

I am entering this into the PaperArtsy Liquid Fabric Sculpting Medium Challenge, and the That's Crafty Challenge 'Red and Green should never be Seen' because she has green wings and red lips!

13 comments:

  1. That turned out great, no wonder you are pleased. I really like the wings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out great, no wonder you are pleased. I really like the wings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! That is FABULOUS! I LOVE her wings. She really has got an ethereal quality about her. Lx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great t-shirt folds and the wings look fabulous xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had my Powertex since it launched and not used it yet, need to watch the dvd to refresh memory.

    Your Angel is beautifully ethereal and her wings are dynamic yet soft. STUNNING creation Lucy :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh Lucy, this is superb, I must find some time!!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic!!!
    Happy birthday Lucy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, definitely a step ahead compared to the moth. The wings are beautiful and the dress looks a lot real. Brava Lucy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow - really beautiful, the wings are gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  10. not sure how I missed this one Lucy - it's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The texture of the delicate wings is fabulous Lucy, ethereal even. You have made a great piece of art and I can't believe that it is only your second attempt! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous second attempt Lucy! This looks spectacular! They'll be no stopping you now with those armatures! Lovely, lovely work! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowzer - she's absolutely amazing, Lucy - those mesh wings are stunning!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete