Sunday 18 May 2014

Secret Garden Panel Inspired by Helen Chilton


One of my favourite people ever has been on the Paper Artsy blog this week, Helen Chilton. Helen said her piece had been a Dog's Dinner at one point, and above I have shown mine at the Dog's Dinner stage! If it hadn't been for Helen I would have given up as I think it really takes an artist to get past this point and I find it very hard to recover things from this stage. I normally just make things worse. I really admire people who can see what is needed to redeem a piece or even turn a mess to their advantage.

Helen was absolutely right that the stencilling 'turned the corner' of the piece. It's been a bit of a rush as Helen was up on Friday, so very late in the week for the Sunday 5 pm deadline, and I'd already decided to make the Keren Baker piece. This was great fun though, and I'm again entering the Paper Artsy challenge. I am getting to be so last minute, Lin is going to start teasing me instead of the other way round!


12 comments:

  1. I was very last minute too - but not as bad as you! I think this looks great - can't see what was wrong with it in the first photo...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just goes to show, never give up.. though I have done it too. Sometimes you just can't see past the mess, it takes a leap of faith I think. though at the end of the day it is only paint and paper, nothing to lose, so just go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely sherberty colours Lucy. Elegant stamping too. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely delicate colours in all those layers... and great to hear about the stages of the process - that "give up or persevere" point has been heading in the wrong direction for me too often lately. Maybe a bit more persevering is in order...
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the subtle colours and the stencilling with the Lynne Perrella images, which are two of my favourites! I really admire both your projects this week, Lucy and how clever of you to fit in two before the deadline! Great work! Julie Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I quite liked your dog's dinner stage... Still I agree with you, one needs the artist eye to know whether to continue or not. I usually stop at dog's dinner reasoning that at least if I don't touch it, it won't get any worse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your shabby look Lucy and the colours are very pretty xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A gorgeous piece of art Lucy!
    I was so late I missed the boat! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really can't see the dogs dinner stage, all looks fabulous and painty, very ethereal and dreamy, gorgeous!

    Finished piece is fabulous Lucy :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such lovely colours and the two stamped figures are effective.
    Sorry I haven't been in touch and a reply is long overdue!
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  11. As everyone else has said, I can't see any sign of a dog's dinner in the first photo, so I'm very glad you didn't give up. The finished piece is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, pish tush... will we ever manage a rendezvous?! No, sadly I'm not going to make it to the Craft Barn this time around... It will happen one day! Hope you have (or have had) a brilliant time.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete