Wednesday 20 July 2011

Gingersnaps Challenge - Planes or Trains - Fob Watch


Today's make is embarassingly simple. The challenge starting today over on Gingersnap Creations Blogspot is to feature planes or trains, and I chose trains, and the over-arching theme for the month is Steampunk. I have had this steam train pocket watch for some time and wanted to decorate it simply so it could be worn as a necklace.

I prised the back off and removed the clock face and mechanism and replaced them with a sepia image of men in front of a steam train, from Crafty Individuals' People and Places book. I had to snip the word 'Locomotive' off the edge to make it circular, so I popped it back on beneath the train. For the facing niche I used a collage image I was lucky enough to get from Dezinaworld when I won a competion. It is a teal coloured clock with Roman numerals, and I added some watch springs and shrink plastic die cut cogs and then a layer of Glossy Accents.



This is a close up of the pocket watch when it is closed, showing the embossed steam train design, which I enhanced with rub-ons.



And then onto a chain to wear as a necklace.


6 comments:

  1. Hi Lucy. What a great idea and a lovely project.
    Regards Florence x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a fantastic idea, wonderful piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful, a lovely piece!
    Helen S

    ReplyDelete
  4. you rocked this challenge--what a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Completely awesome project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow..you so inspired me that this weekend I went and bought an old pocketwatch at the flea market. LOL!

    ReplyDelete